Human Resources Specialist
- Graduation with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus two (2) years of related HR experience.
- Any combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Notes to Applicants
The Human Resources Department works to position the City of Austin as an employer of choice through balanced, efficient and collaborative strategic partnerships. We support and develop a high performing and diverse workforce that fosters a healthy, safe, respectful and productive work environment for employees and their families, City departments and the community.
This position is being filled to perform work in two critical areas within the Employment Services Division: Criminal Background Investigations ( CBI ) and the Employment Contact Center. Within the CBI function, the individual will manage, evaluate and process CBI requests. In addition, the person will be responsible for reviewing and posting jobs and providing assistance to departments and job applicants on the City's hiring process.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates.
- A résumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
Statements such as "see resume" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
An assessment(s) may be administered as part of the interview process.
$20.71 - $26.41
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Human Resources
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 505 Barton Springs Road, Suite 600, Austin, TX 78704
- Experience receiving/processing confidential information on a daily basis.
- Intermediate-level skills in creating and working with MS Excel spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated experience using eCareer in managing job posting.
- Bilingual Skills (Spanish)
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assists in implementing, administering, and evaluating HR programs.
Assists in developing and implementing systems, policies, procedures, strategies, and process work flows for use within departments.
Provides information to employees in assigned area(s) of responsibility, and conducts basic research and makes appropriate recommendations based on findings.
Provides advice and counsel to management and other employee groups related to compliance with and the communication, interpretation, and implementation of City personnel policies and other relevant employment laws and regulations.
Assists in solving HR problems, creating best practices, making recommendations, and monitoring implementation of agreed-upon actions until the problem has been resolved.
Researches information as requested and/or needed; compiles data; and writes informational memos, letters, reports, forms, plans, documents, and queries using computer, spreadsheets, databases, or presentation software.
Assists in the analysis of morale indicators such as but not limited to surveys, turnover, and grievances; and presents recommendations within the area of specialization for corrective action when needed.
Collaborates and participates on teams with HR and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of assigned HR area.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances governing personnel activities.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to develop and maintain current knowledge in the assigned HR areas.
- Ability to develop and maintain knowledge and skill in the use of computerized tools, databases, and communications techniques used in HR.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for the Human Resources Specialist position are graduation with an Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus two (2) years of related HR experience. Any combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Are you a current City of Austin employee?
* This position works with highly confidential information and matters. Please describe your experience working in this type of environment.
(Open Ended Question)
* Indicate your highest skill level in Microsoft Excel.
- Beginner: skill level includes data entry, basic formatting (page setup, column width, etc.), creating spreadsheets, etc.
- Intermediate: skill level includes basic calculations, use of functions, complex formatting (cell manipulation, etc.), charts/graphs (static), etc.
- Advanced: skill level includes pivot tables, V Lookups, formula creation, use of functions for formula creation, etc.
- Expert: skill level includes macros creation, complex formula creation/manipulation, charts/graphs (dynamic), create database queries, etc.
- None of the above
* Please describe your experience working with eCareer or other applicant tracking systems and identify the specific job(s) in your application in which you gained this experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please select the statement that best describes your bilingual abilities in English and Spanish.
- * Speak, read and write in Spanish
- * Can converse in Spanish
- * Can understand Spanish but have some difficulty speaking it
- * Do not speak Spanish
- * Speak another language
- None of the above
* If you have bilingual skills in a language other than Spanish, then state the language(s) and your level of skill (speak, read, write).
(Open Ended Question)
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents