Human Resources Technician
The Ideal Candidate:
The City of El Segundo is seeking an action-oriented, engaging and proactive administrative support professional with a strong balance of technical and analytical skills. The Human Resources Technician must be highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality. This position is assigned to provide professional and technical staff support to the Human Resources Team as well as a variety of internal and external customers.
The City of El Segundo:
The City of El Segundo, incorporated in 1917, is a unique, quaint city by the sea. Home to approximately 17,000 residents and over 75,000 private sector employees of major aeronautical, sports, media, industrial and multiple Fortune 500 companies including Mattel, Chevron and most recently, the Los Angeles Times and Beyond Meat. Further, El Segundo has become the headquarters for major sports franchises, including the LA Lakers and LA Kings. As the economy broadens, El Segundo is becoming home to a variety of high tech and "creative economy" start-up companies. This is reflected in the City motto "Where Big Ideas Take Off!"
9/80 Work Schedule: Full-time employees work 80 hours in 9 days and receive every other Friday off. City Hall hours are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday.
Retirement: California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS) plan which offers reciprocity between agencies. Classic Tier II employees, who have been in the CalPERS system and are new to the City of El Segundo, will receive 2%@60 formula. Employees new to the City and CalPERS, and do not belong to a reciprocal agency of CalPERS, will receive the PEPRA of 2%@62. Classic employees are required to contribute 8% of pensionable income towards their retirement benefit; PEPRA employees are required to contribute 6.75%.
Social Security & Medicare: The City of El Segundo participates in Social Security. The City matches the employee contribution which is 6.2% of salary. Federal mandate requires all employees hired or rehired by any government agency on or after April 1, 1986 to participate in Medicare. The City matches the employee's Medicare contribution, which is 1.45% of salary.
Health Benefits: CalPERS medical, Delta Dental and VSP plans are offered. A monthly contribution of $1,500 is provided ($585 per month for medical and $915 per month in flex dollars). Flex dollars may be used towards medical premiums, deferred compensation, flexible spending or dependent care accounts. Dental and Vision coverage is provided up to $135 per month.
Leave Benefits: Vacation Leave is earned at a rate of 3.69 hours per pay period. After reaching the top of the salary range, accrual is b ased on total time worked in a CalPERS agency. Sick Leave is earned at 8 hours per month.
Executive Leave: Executive leave of 56 hours per calendar year. There is no cash value to this leave.
Holidays: Twelve (12) paid holidays including one floating holiday which is added to your leave bank on January 1 every year.
Life Insurance: City paid policy of $50,000.
Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts: Optional participation.
Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan: Optional participation in ICMA-RC plan. No City matching.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Processes employee benefit applications and requests for disability leave, Family and Medical Leave (FMLA), California Family Rights Act ( CFRA), Consolidated Omnibus Budget and Reconciliation Records Act ( COBRA), over -aged dependents, retirement, death and other qualifying events. Monitors employee benefit eligibility under the Affordable Care Act ( ACA) provisions.
Performs exit processing services for terminating and retiring employees including communicating coverage, rates and changes to benefits claims administrators. Coordinates all status changes and reconcile premium billing statements and reimbursements.
Assists in preparation of Professional Service Agreements ( PSA), vendor contracts, budgets and other reports.
Assists with coordination of City- wide training programs, education reimbursement programs, service awards and special events. Prepares or assists in the preparation for meetings and training classes including scheduling, making room arrangements, notifying participants and distributing materials.
Reviews, updates, and revises class specifications and assists in the development of new class specifications. Conducts surveys on classification requirements, benefits and salaries.
Assists with recruitment and selection activities including: composing recruitment announcements and advertisements, answering inquiries regarding vacancies and requirements for employment, screening applications, scheduling candidates for interviews and exams, assembling test materials and rater packets, proctoring an scoring examinations, updating candidate status in applicant tracking system and generating status notices, drafting conditional offer letters, and scheduling candidates for background checks, physicals and psychological exams.
Assists with processing Workers' Compensation claims; completes Worker' s Compensation payroll reporting and assist with related Workers' Compensation claims management activities.
Schedules travel arrangements, prepares authorization and reimbursement reports pursuant to City purchasing procedures.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Equivalent to an Associate of Art's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, psychology or related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible administrative experience preferably in a public sector human resources environment is required.
Due to the performance of some field duties which require the operation of a personal or City vehicle, a valid and appropriate California driver's license and acceptable driving record are required.
Knowledqe, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Basic principles, practices and techniques of public personnel administration, benefits administration and recruitment and selection.
- Basic principles of administrative research, report preparation and methods of statistical analysis.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Business writing practices.
- Human Resources informational systems, applicant tracking systems, word processing, database, spreadsheet and presentation software. Records processing and management.
- Composing letters and preparing a variety of reports, using appropriate format and computer software.
- Performing basic math computations quickly and accurately.
- Designing and maintaining filing/records systems.
- Following oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Operating office equipment, including personal computer and standard office computer programs.
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintaining the confidentiality or privileged and confidential information.
- Working under strict deadlines, with frequent interactions with the public by phone or in-person, as well as internal staff. Regularly and predictably attend work
- Provides responsible professional and technical staff support including composing, editing, and proofreading correspondence and notices; prepares specialized reports requiring collection of information from various sources. Answers and routes telephone calls, takes messages, and schedules meetings.
- Researches and responds to requests for general and specific information from the public, other departments and outside agencies; interprets and applies memorandums of understanding, Administrative Code, City policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Organizes and maintains office records, statistics, and activity reports; creates and updates software databases; updates Applicant Tracking Systems for recruitment, onboarding and performance evaluations; maintains and updates distribution lists; serves as records liaison for the Human Resources Department.
- Process personnel action forms in HRIS for employee status change on appointments, assignments, transfers, leaves of absences, dismissals, resignations and other personnel information. Implements personnel status changes resulting from new labor agreements.
- Conducts new employee orientation and enrolls new employees in health, dental, vision and other benefit plans. Assists in the coordination of open enrollment and health fair.
Application and Selection Process
TO APPLY: Each applicant must submit a City of El Segundo Employment Application, responses to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire ONLINE by the final filing date. Failure to submit the online Employment Application and responses to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire will disqualify the candidate from further consideration. Please fill out the online Employment Application completely (including places of employment with complete addresses; i.e., number and street name, city and state, names of supervisors with telephone numbers, etc.). INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO REJECTION.
ALL EMPLOYEES MUST SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE A 12-MONTH PROBATIONARY PERIOD IN ORDER TO ATTAIN PERMANENT STATUS WITH THE CITY OF EL SEGUNDO.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of El Segundo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex or sexual orientation. The City of El Segundo maintains and enforces a zero-tolerance policy relating to substance abuse and maintains a smoke-free workplace.