Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
Position Description Exam #21/52A94/06KK
Final Filing Date: June 25, 2021
Monterey County Health Department's Behavioral Health Bureau is seeking a psychiatric nurse practitioner to fill a vacancy for the position of Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner that can see patients in our Children's System of Care.
Children's System of Care - Salinas
The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner provides psychiatric services to child patients in our outpatient Children's System of Care. Psychiatric services include diagnostic evaluations, ongoing assessments, recommending treatments, being part of a multi-disciplinary treatments team, promoting health and wellness, managing side effects of medications, and prescribing psychiatric medications. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will work as part of a multi-disciplinary treatment team that is compost of psychiatrist, master's level therapists, bachelor level social workers, and behavioral health aids. The program provides an array of mental health services to children with serious mental illness. Services include assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning, psycho-educational groups, group therapy, rehabilitation services, psychiatric services, wrap around services, individual and family therapy. Monterey County Behavioral Health has developed a robust system of care that provides a range of services to patients including housing, residential care, inpatient care, school-based therapy, and community supports. Monterey County Behavioral Health places and emphasis on a recovery model that promotes increasing independence and community integration b matching treatment interventions to the patient's need and clinical complexity. The Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner will play an integral role in helping to manage each patient's treatment course.
The Eligible List established by this recruitment may be used to fill current and future temporary or regular vacancies as they arise.
Examples of Duties EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Laws and regulations governing Nurse Practitioners
- Laws, regulations and ethical standards governing behavioral health treatment and medical records
- Causes and treatment of medical and emotional illness including environmental, sociological, psychological and physical factors of mental and emotional disorders
- Principles and methods of psychiatry including diagnostic and treatment techniques used in practicing psychiatry
- Advanced principles and practices of psychiatric assessment, diagnosis and treatment, documentation and follow-up of emotional and mental disorders and other related medical issues
- Scope of responsibilities applicable under incumbent's licensure
- Medical Aspects of psychological problems; psychosocial behaviors in illness
- Psycho-education methodologies to work with individuals one-on-one or in groups
- Principles and applications of clinical psychology, psychiatric work and various rehabilitative services
- Psychopharmacological use and effects of medications including medication and drugs commonly prescribed, including medications therapeutic effect, side effects, reactions, and contraindications
- Diagnostic protocols; sterile techniques and infection control; clinical significance of laboratory test results
- Principles, practices and procedures used to detect, diagnose and treat common health problems, Human anatomy and physiology
- Principles and practices of behavioral health education, community, organizations and allied behavioral health services and resources
Skill and Ability to:
- Perform comprehensive multigenerational family assessments
- Work effectively as a team-member in delivery of mental health care services to both children and adults; perform collaboration consultation with staff psychiatrists for more complicated psychiatric problems
- Identify and evaluate medical conditions and psychiatric disorders; develop and implement treatment plans according to prescribed policies and protocols
- Recognize social problems which affect health and assist in securing adjustments
- Safely administer medications including psychotropic drugs; monitor and record patient's medication usage and results
- Prepare and maintain accurate medical records, medical reports, and case histories as needed
- Educate patients and family members about mental health and medical conditions, preventative health measures, medications or treatment plans
- Remain knowledgeable and proficient in mental health practices through readings, research professional organizations, academic training, and participation in direct patient services
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms to behavioral health staff, patients, their family members and other interested community members
- Establish and maintain effective professional relationships with those contacted in the course of work at all organizational levels including patients, health care personnel, and the public
- Perform job duties effectively under pressure and in stressful situations
- Adapt quickly and appropriately to a variety of situations and personalities
- Demonstrate a high degree of maturity, tact, diplomacy, compassion, integrity, initiative, and independent judgement
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
- Enthusiasm and compassion for working with seriously mental ill patients
- Strong communication skills
- Provide excellent and courteous customer service
- Work within team framework
Conditions of Employment
- Pursuant to Section 2835 of the Business and Professions Code hold a valid and active California license as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner and possess training, experience and certification as set forth in the hospital's Practice Prerogative's to practice in Inpatient Psychiatric Services, and other acute care services as may be determined by the hospital.
- Pursuant to Business and Professions Code Section 2836 and Section 2831.1 must possess a furnishing number to furnish drugs and/or devices and a valid DEA number and certificate.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record or ability to provide suitable transportation approved by the appointing authority.
- Due to the sensitive nature of these positions, the Health Department reserves the right to fingerprint and conduct police background checks of appointees for some positions
Examples of Experience/Education/Training The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically:
Education / Licensing: Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner training program leading to licensure as a Nurse Practitioner by California Board of Nursing, in the required specialty area and demonstrated ability to provide the full scope of patient care.
Experience: Typically, three to five years of experience as a Nurse Practitioner with demonstrated ability to provide the full scope of care for higher acuity patients, in the area of specialty, with limited supervision.
Additional Information ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
Submit the following application materials to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the final filing date: June 25, 2021. Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of the required application materials. All application material must be received by the final filing date for a guaranteed review. Applications received after this date will be considered on an as needed basis until the position is filled.
- Monterey County Employment Application
- Response to the Supplemental Questions
- A copy of your license/certification must be submitted with your application
- A copy of your DEA number and certificate
Or apply on-line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/montereycounty/default.cfm
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at (831) 755-4519.
If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at (831) 755-4519. Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the U.S. If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County of Monterey offers an excellent benefits package (S Unit). For additional information please visit Unit S's benefit summary sheet at:
The information listed above is a general summary of benefits for this position. This information is not legally binding, nor does it serve as a contract. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies and Practices Resolution prevails over this listing.
Monterey County is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. The County seeks candidates who can make contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity. Monterey County provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please call the Human Resources Analyst at (831) 755-4519.
Closing Date/Time: 6/25/2021 11:59 PM Pacific