Public Health Epidemiologist II
An Equal Opportunity Employer Drug-Free Workplace
Invites your interest for the position of
Public Health Epidemiologist II
$6,018 - $8,214 per Month
Final Filing Date: Opened Until Filled Exam # 20/50N11/08RU
Priority Screening Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Summary of Position
The Monterey County Health Department's Public Health Bureau currently has an opening for two (2) full-time Public Health Epidemiologist II's (EPI II) in the Epidemiology & Surveillance Unit of the Division of Communicable Disease Prevention and Control. The Epidemiology & Surveillance Unit provides disease investigation, infection control, data analysis, disease surveillance, and program evaluation services for the Health Department's Public Health Bureau. The position works collaboratively with clients, community stakeholders, other Health Department programs, and medical service providers to prevent, detect, and control the spread of illness in Monterey County.
The Public Health Epidemiologist II will investigate and control incidents and outbreaks of communicable diseases. The Incumbent will plan, and coordinate activities of staff involved in response; gather data, design epidemiologic studies, conduct complex statistical analyses, and interpret results. Incumbent is responsible to develop, clean and maintain databases, such as morbidity and mortality rates of the population of Monterey County and incidence of various communicable and non-communicable diseases and other chronic health conditions. The Public Health EPI II will design, plan, implement, maintain and evaluate communicable disease surveillance systems; establish contact and maintain working relationships with appropriate specialists to provide technical assistance and recommendations to medical providers, congregate living facilities, veterinarians, schools, businesses, and other community agencies. The EPI II will develop protocols for epidemiologic activities and maintain secure databases of relevant public health information and support public health preparedness activities, including designing, planning, conducting, and evaluating disease and injury surveillance systems.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they arise.
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted up to the higher level of the career series subject to their meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority in accordance with the Flexible Staffing Program and Guidelines.
Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities :
- Knowledge of epidemiologic public health data trends and patterns to determine origin, spread and control of hazards to the community.
- Knowledge of statistical theory and techniques of epidemiological, demographic, biostatistical and community health research.
- Knowledge of review and evaluation of disease outbreak interventions.
- Knowledge of automated systems for collecting, compiling, and analyzing data applicable to current epidemiological standards and practices.
- Ability to identify potential communicable or acute health conditions and take appropriate action.
- Ability to design and implement epidemiological surveillance and investigative programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Provide excellent and courteous customer service
- Work well in a team-oriented environment
- High level of computer proficiency
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Results-oriented, ethical behavior.
- Ability to affect successful outcomes for the organization through masterful use of data collection and analyses, stakeholder collaboration, and a keen understanding of disease pathophysiology, transmission, and control methodology.
Conditions of Employment :
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License
- Due to the sensitive nature of these positions, the Health Department reserves the right to fingerprint and conduct police background checks of appointees for some positions.
Examples of Experience/Education/Training The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education, or training, typically:
Education: Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Epidemiology or related field that includes a minimum of two (2) graduate level courses in Epidemiology or two (2) comparable graduate level classes in research methodology and two (2) graduate level courses in statistics or biostatistics.
Experience: Two (2) years of epidemiologic experience performing study design and implementation and data analysis that demonstrated the ability to perform job duties commensurate with a Public Health Epidemiologist I.
Completion of a Bachelor's degree at an accredited college or university in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Sciences, Statistics, or related field and four (4) years of work experience within the field of Epidemiology performing study design, implementation and analysis that demonstrated the ability to perform job duties commensurate with a Public Health Epidemiologist I.
At least one (1) year experience as a Public Health Epidemiologist in the County of Monterey.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at: https://www2.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/50N11.pdf
Additional Information APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
Submit the following application materials to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources
Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906
Final Filing Date: Opened Until Filled; Priority Screening Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2020
- Monterey County Employment Application
- Response to the Supplemental Questions
For a guaranteed review, all application materials must be received by the priority screen date of September 9, 2020. Applications received after this priority screen date will be considered on an as needed basis until the position is filled. Please be aware if the application form, responses to supplemental questions, and copies of Certificates is not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration and not be considered further.
Or apply on-line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/montereycounty/default.cfm
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination. For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4394.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4394.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County of Monterey offers an excellent benefits package (H Unit)
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "H" MOU prevails over this listing.
See https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/showdocument?id=78042 for more information (H bargaining Unit Benefit Summary Sheet.)
Closing Date/Time: Continuous