PUBLIC HEALTH MICROBIOLOGIST II
The Public Health Laboratory is part of the Monterey County Health Department (MCHD) which holds a nationally recognized accreditation from the Public Health Accreditation Board.
The laboratory provides testing services to support MCHD Communicable Disease and Tuberculosis Units, Clinics, Environmental Health, and local hospitals and health care providers in protecting the community from infectious diseases and harmful microbes in food and water.
The Public Health Laboratory is seeking to fill a Public Health Microbiologist (PHM) II position. Under general direction from the Senior PHM, the PHM II performs, interprets and reports microbiological tests on a variety of diagnostic and reference specimens, conducts quality control procedures, assists in training laboratory staff and performs duties as required.
This classification is part of a flexible series. Incumbents appointed at the lower level of the career series may be promoted up to the higher level of the career series subject to their meeting the employment standards for the higher class and a recommendation for their promotion by the appointing authority in accordance with the Flexible Staffing Program and Guidelines.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they arise.
Examples of Duties THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Knowledge of bacteriological, serological, mycological, parasitological, and other microbiological principles, used in the laboratory for detection and identification of disease agents.
• Knowledge of chemical principles and techniques used in the examination of body fluids, foods, dairy products, water and air.
• Proper laboratory safety precautions and procedures.
• Some knowledge of methods of transmissions causes and control of communicable diseases.
• Ability to perform a variety of laboratory tests and examinations.
• Ability to keep record and prepare clear and concise written reports on examinations performed.
• Establish and maintain effective working relations with those contacted through the course of work.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate: • Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of audiences
• Proficient in the use of technology
• Provide excellent and courteous customer service
• Work well in a team-oriented environment
Conditions of Employment: • Pursuant to Title 17, Section 1079 of the California Administrative code, possession of a valid Public Health Microbiologist certificate issued by the California State Health Department is required for positions in this class.
• Possession of a valid California Driver's License
• Due to the sensitive nature of these positions, the Health Department reserves the right to fingerprint and conduct police background checks of appointees for some positions.
Examples of Experience/Education/Training The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically:
Six months to a year of experience performing a full range of laboratory testing duties in a Public Health laboratory comparable to the class of Public Health Microbiologist I with Monterey County.
Additional Information For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at: https://www2.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/50C22.pdf
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES Submit the following application materials to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906
Final Filing Date: Open until filled
• Monterey County Employment Application
• Current detailed resume or curriculum vitae (cv)
• Copy of valid Public Health Microbiologist certificate issued by the California State Health Department
Please be aware if the application form, responses to supplemental questions, and/or copies of Certificates are not submitted timely with other required application materials, the application will be removed from further consideration.
Or apply on-line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/montereycounty/default.cfm
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant's possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination. For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4618.
SPECIAL NOTE:• If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodations, please call the Health Department Human Resources Office at 831-755-4618.
• Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
• If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County of Monterey offers an excellent benefits package (H Unit) The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolution or "H" MOU prevails over this listing.
See https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/showdocument?id=78042 for more information (H bargaining Unit Benefit Summary Sheet.)
Closing Date/Time: Continuous