Senior Veterinary Technician – Float
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
Vet Tech Minimum/Required Qualifications
Graduate of a Veterinary Technician or equivalent program/training, certified or certification eligible as MVMA/MAVT technician.
Senior Vet Tech Minimum/Required Qualifications
Graduate of Veterinary Technician or equivalent program, certified as MVMA/MAVT technician, and a minimum of 1 year of experience assisting licensed DVM's with veterinary medicine procedures. Must be able to work independently with little or no supervision.
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria
Problem solving skills, strong interpersonal skills, knowledge of veterinary medicine terminology, knowledge of proper restraint and handling of large and small animals. Understands and works within clinical scope of position. Flexibility to meet patient care needs. Certified technician (CVT) with certification recognized in Minnesota. Proficiency with PC and software. Two years of veterinary technician experience.
About the Job
Description of Position
Under the direction of a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, contributes to the health and well being of patients by delivering outstanding, high quality veterinary technician services that meet the standards of the MVMA and MAVT as well as VMC standards and protocols. Competently assists Clinicians and other medical staff members with veterinary medical procedures which may include (but are not limited to) specialty care, emergency care, intensive care, surgical assisting, radiography, anesthesiology, laboratory procedures, administering treatments, animal nursing, animal restraint and handling, preventative care, clinical research, etc. within assigned service area as well as across functions as needed.
- Assists clients and patients with receiving, assessment, work-up, discharge, etc., prepares patients for a variety of veterinary medical procedures including preparation for specialty care treatments and services, radiographic procedures, catherizations, venipunctures, vaccinations, anesthesia, administration of medications and treatments, etc.
- Provide excellent service to DVM's and medical team that support quality patient care.
- Facilitate open communication and teamwork among clinical care team members (DVM's students, veterinary technicians, etc.) in support of positive patient outcomes and excellent patient care.
- Must be able to restrain and handle animals and/or assist with animal restraint and handling.
- Under the direction of DVM's performs a variety of medical and diagnostic procedures depending upon clinical indications and area of service; may perform intravenous and related therapies (i.e. fluids, chemotherapies, and anesthesia), obtain fluid or tissue samples, perform biopsy techniques, etc.
- Administers medications, vaccinations, allergy testing and others as defined by the duty clinicians.
- With oversight by a DVM applies clinical job knowledge and competence to the management of the patient.
- Delivers outstanding customer service including (for example) greeting and receiving patients and clients in a professional, caring and courteous manner, answering phone calls promptly, responding to clients, co-workers, and medical staff needs and requests, redirecting calls, etc.
- Provides back up support to Customer Contact Center and front desk when requested.
- Answers questions and explains or demonstrates procedures and equipment for clients, interns, senior veterinary students, and technician students.
- Performs record-keeping tasks related to medical procedures, including recording of: procedures completed, supplies used, patient status, client communications, census information, etc.
- Responsible to ensure that all services and supplies are charged for according to hospital fee schedule.
- Must have the ability to work in a clinical setting.
- Must adhere to VMC safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Maintains a clean environment in hospital area and ensures that these areas are adequately ordered, stocked and that equipment is in working order.
Other duties as assigned by Supervisor, Clinician, or Director.
Vet Tech Salary Range: $15.44 to $21.31
Senior Vet Tech Salary Range: $15.90 to $27.80
About the Department
The Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) has served the community for more than a century. It is the most advanced, full-service referral care center for large and small animals in Minnesota. The VMC sees more than 35,000 cases annually, with specialists available in all areas of medicine and surgery. More than 50 of the veterinarians on staff have undergone several years of additional training to become board-certified specialists in a particular area of veterinary medicine.
The Veterinary Medical Center is comprised of the Small Animal Hospital for dogs, cats, and other companion animals, the Piper Clinic at the new Leatherdale Equine Center , for horses, and the Large Animal Hospital , which treats farm animals, and occasionally, zoo animals.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
The University of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
Competitive wages, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave
Low cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts
Excellent retirement plans with employer match
Disability and employer paid life insurance
Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums
Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75%-100% of eligible tuition
Student loan forgiveness opportunity
Opportunities for growth and promotion
Employee Assistance Program
For more information regarding benefits: https://humanresources.umn.edu/sites/humanresources.umn.edu/files/2019_tcd-cslr-75100-ben-0105-7_1.pdf