Temporary – Administrative Assistant-Human Resources
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus three (3) years of experience in general clerical/secretarial experience.
- Education and or experience will substitute for the minimum qualifications.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
This position will work with the Human Resources division of Austin Resource Recovery at the Front Reception desk.
They will work in conjunction with other administrative personnel to perform a wide variety of administrative support tasks.They will be tasked with special projects and special events, address updates, department phone list, employee badges, Visio flow charts and organizational charts, reference checks, the ARR Service Recognition Program and with timekeeping verification. They may also be asked to assist with other areas of Human Resources including providing support in the employee relations area of Human Resources, data entry, running Human Resource Reports, special projects and other support functions.
Top candidate must possess discretion in handling details of a highly confidential and sensitive nature. They should be collaborative, as well as assertive and confident and model professional demeanor and integrity. The successful candidate will act as an extension of the Human Resources team and must demonstrate a strong sense of urgency. They must also have the ability to prioritize and manage competing demands and deadlines in a fast paced environment. The top candidate will should have excellent business writing, proofreading, and communication skills and demonstrated experience writing reports, spreadsheets, memos, fliers, etc. that include research, analysis, and recommendations.
A competency assessment may be required to verify your skill set.
This posting may be used to fill other similar positions within Austin Resource Recovery outside of the division listed above.
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Your application should reflect your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., "see resume" or "see Linked In Profile"). The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
Each individual who submits an Application as provided in the Municipal Civil Service Rules and meet the Minimum Qualifications for a Competitive Position shall be considered a Candidate for that Position. Employees, in Good Standing, who are Candidates within the Department or division that the Position resides in and who meet the Minimum and Preferred Qualifications (if any) of the Position will be included in the initial interview.
NOTE : All Austin Resource Recovery locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any ARR worksite - including parking lot or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
$15.91 - $17.81
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m
- Employee may be required to work some early mornings (6:00 am), after hours and some weekends due to business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Resource Recovery
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 1520 Rutherford Lane Austin, TX
- Previous Human Resources support experience
- Previous experience performing front desk/office, reception-type duties
- Demonstrated experience writing reports, spreadsheets, memos, fliers, etc. that include research, analysis, and recommendations
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft 2010 suite to include Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Greets visitors, handles their inquiries, and directs them to the appropriate person.
2. Answers multi-line telephones, or two-way radios and directs calls or takes messages.
3. Maintains office supply inventories by placing orders.
4. Schedules and coordinates meetings.
5. Distributes, disperses, and reconciles petty cash requests.
6. Types letters, memos, forms and other correspondence.
7. Picks up, sorts and delivers mail to appropriate person.
8. Files and retrieves documents, records and reports.
9. Maintains records, enters data and retrieves data as needed.
10. Analyzes and interprets data and prepares reports.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of city practices, policy and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires Graduation from high school or equivalent, plus three (3) years of experience in general clerical/secretarial experience. Note: Any combination of education and/or work experience will substitute for minimum qualifications. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Please provide a brief description of how you meet the minimum qualifications listed for this position - to include, meeting the educational requirements, years of related experience and substitutions.
(Open Ended Question)
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background check (CBI)?
* Please describe any experience you have writing reports, spreadsheets, memos, fliers, etc. that include research, analysis, and recommendations. In your answer please include which position on your application where you gained this experience and what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
* Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word and Excel?
- Basic: create/edit simple documents & spreadsheets
- Intermediate: create/edit a variety of documents & spreadsheets; reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text, change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
- Advanced: create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks, graphics; data/mail merge, import data from one document to another
- No experience with Microsoft Word or Excel
* How many years of Human Resources experience do you have?
- 1 year of experience
- 2 - 3 years of experience
- 4 - 5 years of experience
- 6 years of experience or more
* Please describe the type of experience you have working in a human resources department.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe your experience in providing administrative support and performing administrative functions.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents