Vet Tech or Senior Vet Tech – Emergency/Critical Care
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
All required qualifications must be documented on application materials.
Veterinary Technician Minimum/Required Qualifications
Graduate of Veterinary Technician or equivalent program, certified or certification eligible as MVMA/MAVT technician. Must possess customer service orientation and outstanding interpersonal skills.
Senior Veterinary Technician Minimum/Required Qualifications
Graduate of Veterinary Technician or equivalent program, certified as MVMA/MAVT technician or certified in another state and eligible to be certified in Minnesota. At least one year of veterinary technical experience. Ability to act independently with little or no supervision. Must possess customer service orientation and outstanding interpersonal skills.
About the Job
Days/Hours - Wednesday-Saturday, 10:00pm-8:30am (4 10-hour shifts)
- Assists Clinicians, clients and patients with receiving, assessment, work-up, discharge, etc., prepares patients for a variety of veterinary medical procedures including preparation for specialty care treatments and services, radiographic procedures, catherizations, venipunctures, vaccinations, anesthesia, administration of medications and treatments, etc.
- Provide care for patients in ER
- Assist clinicians, students and technical staff in ER.
- Must be able to restrain and handle animals and/or assist with animal restraint and handling.
- With oversight by a DVM, applies clinical job knowledge and competence to diagnosis, treatment, and care.
- Provide excellent service to DVM's and medical team that support quality patient care.
- Facilitate open communication and teamwork among clinical care team members (DVM's students, veterinary technicians, etc.) in support of positive patient outcomes and excellent patient care.
- Under the direction of a DVM performs a variety of medical and diagnostic procedures depending upon clinical indications and area of service; may perform intravenous and related therapies. Performs hourly treatment to patients admitted Small Animal Wards and Intensive Care Unit.
- Performs triage and assists in care of patients in Emergency Room.
- Applies clinical job knowledge and competence to the management of the patient.
- Delivers outstanding customer service including (for example) greeting and receiving patients and clients in a caring and courteous manner, answering phone calls promptly, responding to clients, co-workers, and medical staff needs and requests, redirecting calls, etc.
- Answers questions and explains or demonstrates procedures and equipment for clients, residents, interns, senior veterinary students, and technician students; assists with teaching labs.
- Performs record-keeping tasks related to medical procedures, including recording of: procedures completed, supplies used, patient status, client communications, census information, etc.
- Responsible to ensure that all services and supplies are charged for according to hospital fee schedule.
- Must adhere to VMC safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Must have the ability to work in a clinical setting.
- Assists in other service areas; develops skills that are cross functional and uses time efficiently including helping other areas of the hospital.
- Maintains a clean environment in hospital area and ensures that these areas are adequately ordered, stocked and that equipment is in working order.
- Participates in daily rounds.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor, Clinician, Director, or Hospital Administrator
Vet Tech Salary Range: $15.44 to $21.31 USD/hour
Senior Vet Tech Salary Range: $15.90 to $27.80 USD/hour
About the Department
The Veterinary Medical Center (VMC) has served the community for more than a century. It is the most advanced, full-service referral care center for large and small animals in Minnesota. The VMC sees more than 35,000 cases annually, with specialists available in all areas of medicine and surgery. More than 50 of the veterinarians on staff have undergone several years of additional training to become board-certified specialists in a particular area of veterinary medicine.
The Veterinary Medical Center is comprised of the Small Animal Hospital for dogs, cats, and other companion animals, the Piper Clinic at the new Leatherdale Equine Center , for horses, and the Large Animal Hospital , which treats farm animals, and occasionally, zoo animals.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.